Is Email Dying of Old Age? Part 1 - Understanding Email Shortfalls :: Attorney Exposure

Spiga

Is Email Dying of Old Age? Part 1 - Understanding Email Shortfalls

1 What is this article all about?


e-mail was linked to the Internet since the beginning of their very widespread in the mid-'90s. It completely changed the way people communicate shortens the time of delivery of the message or document of a few days to a few seconds, and by reducing the costs of delivery to almost zero since there is no postage or paper media that are involved.


For more than 10 years, e-mail was the dominant way to share information ... until the advent of Social Media .


Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) give safer and more attractive method of communication. Up front, we can choose who we want to communicate with the building of communities of "friends" or "followers". If you want people to know what happens to us, just send me a message and all of our "friends" can read it.


course, can still send a personal message to to anyone we so choose, privacy of communication is still preserved. We can also stay informed about what our favorite work of the organization by "following" them or become "fans" of your site.


Now we must ask: "Is social media is powerful enough to overthrow the e-mail ?"


The answer is: "Not yet" . But to understand this, let's look at what is good and bad about e-mail.


2 What is wrong with e-mail?


Spam


When you innocently bought those flowers on the Internet never suspected, a week later, your address will be available to the company that supplies young brides from Russia!


Subscribe to in the wrong blog , buy from in the wrong shop online or simply have a in your e-mail displayed on your web page can get their address on the mailing list which is then sold over and over again to companies that do not hesitate in sending you a never-ending flow of e-mail offers all sorts of uninteresting, boring, and sometimes offensive product and services.


I have personally e-mail address that I use for all purchases and sporadic blog entries, and if I cancel and replace every 6 months!


Anti-spam trackers (software that detects spam and throws it into a separate folder) tend to work pretty well, but they also occasionally rolled classify messages as spam. As a result, you must follow the hand-tracker, which sometimes feels like messing with the trash!


Information overload


Information overload

...

Information overload

...

Information overload

...

Spoofing happens when you get an email from a trusted origin (your bank, eBay, PayPal ...) asks you to correct your ID and password access due to "security breach". Of course, e-mail did not originate from the place where you think that you only provide your personal information to someone who will use it ... well, you get the point!


All kinds of other scams are available. Since many people sell what they do not have to be a man with his surname who died in Nigeria and his lawyer is desperately looking for someone that millions of dollars that was left behind, there are all sorts of creative settlement of our inboxes.


viruses, worms and trojans


You just got an email from "Mary Jones" asking you to please check your "wedding photos" in the appendix. I can not think of Mary Jones, but the wedding? It is only human to click on the attachment to and quick peek. Oops! Too late. Hope you have a good anti-virus/anti-spyware running on the computer, because you just brought some very nasty software.


Viruses there is change or destroy your system. Spyware exists to collect information stored on your computer and send it to people eager to receive it and use it for their own purposes.


Children do not use e-mail


Simply put, the new generation looks at the e-mail as "something you will use to communicate with adults. " Although the number of users of e-mail is still growing at a rate of 20% per year, use among teenagers and young adults (15-24) is decreasing at an annual rate of 7%. So, knowing that 87% of teens have access to the Internet, which they use to communicate with each other? Instant Messenger (IM), mobile phone SMS messaging and social media. No e-mail.


3 All right, with e-mail?


But the only game in town


Let's face it, we will not return postage mail and social media is too fragmented, too young and too immature to be considered as a suitable replacement.


Yes, I can use Facebook to send a message to their friends and business associates, but only so long as they have a profile on Facebook and we are all connected as "friends. " Even so, Facebook instant messaging recipients will receive an e-mail informing them that they have a message waiting on Facebook (just in case they do not check their profiles often). So, what's the point?


If I live in a restricted environment (as a teenager in) with very limited social circle, I can not live without e-mail. But once I expand my horizons to the wider business environment, where I communicate daily with people who have never met and, sometimes, I do not even know where they live, social media, IM and text messaging, as it stands today, is not a valid option .


I can not leave the Facebook link on my website and all my clients expect to use them when they need to be contacted. Do I have a contact page that uses e-mail as a communication tool.


This is a universal


There are many e-mail program and engines out there, but all talk to each other . When I send e-mail business prospects in Europe, I'm not worried about what the computer or e-mail program they use. I just send a message and I know I will get it.


4 Conclusion


We just realized that for now, despite all the problems we are stuck with e-mail. However, social media is still in its infancy, is dominated by a relatively obscure organization. When the "big boys" such as Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and others to take, they will have a much broader view of the market and the establishment of " new communications to " will begin.


the next article we will look at Social Media and analyze its potential as an e-mail exchange.

0 comments: